What is Cybersecurity?
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities, cybersecurity is the body of technologies, processes and practices designed to protect networks, computers, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access.
A few helpful tips to keep in mind so that you can keep yourself safe:
- Never respond to emails, phone calls or texts that request your personal information
- Be cautious about what you share about yourself on social media
- Never share your passwords with anyone
- Make sure your online passwords are complex (a combination of at least 8 upper and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters), and avoid using birthdates, family member names, or anything else that can be easily guessed
- Instead of thinking of it as just a password, consider using passphrases whenever possible. For example, select the first letter of each word in a sentence or phrase, then replace some of the letters with numbers or special characters to create something that is easy for you to remember, but impossible for others to guess.
For more information and helpful tips on cybersecurity, protecting your smartphone, online shopping and more, click here for a helpful video from the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities or here to visit their website.
Whether online conducting professional business or in a personal capacity, vigilance is the key to protecting yourself, your business, and your finances.